Official blog of photographer SHAMAYIM

Friday, March 28, 2014

SHAMAYIM: "homemade" lighting

This image was one of the first that I shot utilizing a "homemade" lighting kit. I used some standard fluorescent light bulbs that I could manually maneuver to have the shadows compliment the models body tone and definition. The shadows assist with accentuating curvature and detail.
As a photographer I have a very keen idea of the shot in my head before I pick up the camera. Sometimes I simply can not get the professional studio equipment to "play nice" and read my thoughts and give me the tone i'm looking for. No matter how proficient I am with equipment knowledge it just doesn't give me the results I like. So I have to get very hands on and "create" the lighting I desire.

This can be as simple as going to Walmart and heading over to the lighting section in the home decorating department and purchasing a lot of different bulbs at various wattages. When you get on set, take the lights and just explore with them. Try different distances from your subject to provide you with intensity options. You'll know it works when it feels perfect. Creating your light source can be tedious but the hands on experience with it allows you to feel your art more intimately and get the results you want.

SHAMAYIM
www.shamayim.net
Follow me on instagram and twitter | @shamayim

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow SHAMAYIM